Surface Guided Radiation Therapy
Surface guided radiation therapy (SGRT) is currently extensively in use at the Department of Radiation Oncology of the University Hospital of the LMU Munich. In general, one or several cameras and projectors are used to register the real time patient surface to the patient’s planning CT using for example structured light, laser scanning, or even the thermal information of the surface. Currently, two LINACs are equipped with optical surface scanners Catalyst® (C-RAD AB, Sweden), with a third one planned for mid 2020. Several studies on patient positioning, intra-fractional monitoring, radiation in deep-inspiration breath-hold (DIBH), the usage of optical surface scanners for 4DCT acquisition, and respiratory gating have already been published. Future research topics will include the possibilities of SGRT for gated treatments, the optimal selection of regions-of-interest (ROIs) for patient positioning, and the technical and clinical validation of the novel ExacTrac Dynamic* (Brainlab AG, Germany). In addition, the Department of Radiation Oncology is part of the recently founded ESTRO working group on SGRT, with the focus on drafting a European guideline for workflows, QA, and other clinical aspects. The Department of Radiation Oncology currently has research agreements with C-RAD AB and Brainlab AG.
- Pazos M, Walter F, Reitz D, Schönecker S, Konnerth D, Schäfer A, et al. Impact of surface-guided positioning on the use of portal imaging and initial set-up duration in breast cancer patients. Strahlentherapie und Onkol. 2019;195(11):964–71.
- Reitz D, Carl G, Schönecker S, Pazos M, Freislederer P, Niyazi M, et al. Real-time intra-fraction motion management in breast cancer radiotherapy: Analysis of 2028 treatment sessions. Radiat Oncol. 2018;13(1):1–9.
- Corradini S, Ballhausen H, Weingandt H, Freislederer P, Schönecker S, Niyazi M, et al. Correction to: Left-sided breast cancer and risks of secondary lung cancer and ischemic heart disease: Effects of modern radiotherapy techniques. Strahlentherapie und Onkol. 2018; 194(3):196-205.
- Freislederer P, Heinz C, von Zimmermann H, Gerum S, Roeder F, Reiner M, et al. Clinical workflow optimization to improve 4DCT reconstruction for Toshiba Aquilion CT scanners. Z Med Phys. 2018;28(2):88–95.
- Carl G, Reitz D, Schönecker S, Pazos M, Freislederer P, Reiner M, et al. Optical Surface Scanning for Patient Positioning in Radiation Therapy: A Prospective Analysis of 1902 Fractions. Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2018 Jan 1;17:1533033818806002.
- Schönecker S, Walter F, Freislederer P, Marisch C, Scheithauer H, Harbeck N, et al. Treatment planning and evaluation of gated radiotherapy in left-sided breast cancer patients using the CatalystTM/SentinelTM system for deep inspiration breath-hold (DIBH). Radiat Oncol. 2016;11(1):143
- Walter F, Freislederer P, Belka C, Heinz C, Söhn M, Roeder F. Evaluation of daily patient positioning for radiotherapy with a commercial 3D surface-imaging system (CatalystTM). Radiat Oncol. 2016;11(1).
- Freislederer P, Reiner M, Hoischen W, Quanz A, Heinz C, Walter F, et al. Characteristics of gated treatment using an optical surface imaging and gating system on an Elekta linac. Radiat Oncol. 2015;10(1):1–6.