Welcome to the web-presentation of the Department of Ophthalmology of the University Hospital, Ludwig-Maximilians-University (LMU) Munich.
The Department of Ophthalmology is one of the largest ophthalmological centers in Germany and Europe. It has a long history of excellence in anterior and posterior segment diseases of the eye.
Our main clinical service portfolio is
- Cataract surgery (aspheric and premium intraocular lenses such as toric and multifocal lenses)
- Vitreoretinal surgery
- Medical Retina including AMD (age-related macular degeneration) and intravitreal injections
- Corneal diseases and modern keratoplasty techniques (DMEK, DALK, Laser assisted penetrating keratoplasty, amniotic-membrane-transplantation)
- Refractive surgery (SMILE, LASIK, LASEK, Phakic IOLs, multifocal lenses for presbyopia)
- Glaucoma and glaucoma surgery (minimally invasive shunts, penetrating and non-penetrating filtering surgery, canaloplasty, etc.)
- Strabismology and neuroophthalmology
- Ocular oncology and adjuvant therapies
- Plastic and orbital surgery
- First center in Germany performing gene therapy of RP65-mediated retinal dystrophies with the recently approved drug Voretigene Neparvovec